Blogging to Attract and Engage Nonprofit Supporters
Attracting new supporters and maintaining their support through continual engagement are paramount to nonprofits like yours…
Even for those who are successful sticking with the traditional offline route of engagement and fundraising, all nonprofits can benefit from developing a stronger online presence. And a major way to accomplish this is by having an informative website.
To help you get started, you should first answer the following 4 questions:
WHO are you writing the article for?
- Are you writing to appeal to strangers (new potential supporters) or current/past donors?
- You need to know who you’re writing for so you can tailor your content to them.
WHAT is the purpose or goal of your article?
- Do you want to tell a story about your organization to create heightened awareness and attract new supporters?
- Do you want to share information about a particular campaign or event to appeal to your current or past supporters?
- Do you want to thank your supporters by providing them with content that recognizes their contributions?
- Defining the purpose of your blog article will help you write more relevant content that will be more attractive to your target audience.
WHY are you writing about this topic now?
- Is the blog topic relevant to what is happening, what has recently happened, or is about to happen within your organization?
- Does this topic aim to fill a current need or provide information that your supporters have requested or brought up recently?
- Will this topic be informative and relevant to your audience due to current events that are occurring outside of but related to your organization?
HOW will you format your content?
- Depending on who the blog is for, you could make it shorter or more elaborate, more or less visual, with lots of linked resources or with only a couple, with our without a download, and so on…
- Getting the message across clearly and efficiently is what matters most, but what that message is and who it’s targeting should define its format.
- You can also get into creating other forms of content that you can offer within your blog, such as infographics, videos, and downloadable content like PDF’s and eBooks.
Now that you’ve answered the Who, What, Why and How of your blog content, you’re ready to begin!